Walmart has announced its Black Friday 2016 deals and there’s a lot to get through – both good and bad. So let’s break them down…
Note: my thanks to BestBlackFriday which has worked with me to collate these deals and create order from the inevitable annual chaos.
Walmart has some superb Black Friday deals and these are the highlights:
- Any Apple AAPL -0.49% iPhone – $0 Down + $250 Walmart Gift Card for qualifying AT&T T +0.47% Next or Verizon Payment
- Any Samsung Phone – $0 Down + $250 Walmart Gift Card for qualifying AT&T Next or Verizon Payment
- Samsung Galaxy S6 on Straight Talk Wireless + Straight Talk Wireless $55/30 Day Unlimited Talk, Text and Data Plan Card for $249 (save $150)
- PlayStation 4 Slim Uncharted 4 500GB Bundle w/ $30 Gift Card for $249 (save $50)
- Element or Hisense (by location) 40-inch HDTV for $125
Regarding Element and Hisense, these are budget TVs so don’t expect world class quality but the cost for the size beats every other retailer this Black Friday.
- Philips 55-inch Smart 4K UHDTV for $298
- VIZIO 60-inch LED HDTV for $398 (again the size to asking price is exception, despite this being a budget brand)
- DJI Phantom 3 Standard Drone for $369 (save $130)
Black Friday tip: always remember to check the specific TV model when retailers release them before making a purchase. Even the best manufacturers have weak models in their line-up that you are better off avoiding, so do your research.
While not outstanding, these deals offer very good value for money:
- iPhone 5s 16GB(Straight Talk) for $99 (save $50) – it’s an old model but a solid price
- Samsung Galaxy J3 on Verizon Wireless + $45 Talk, Text & Data Plan for $39 (save $60)
- Huawei ASCEND XT on AT&T + $45 AT&T Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data Plan for $49 (save $100)
- Samsung Galaxy Luna on Straight Talk Wireless + Straight Talk Wireless $45/30 Day Unlimited Talk, Text and Data Plan Card for $19.88 (save $79.12)
- Samsung Galaxy Sky on Straight Talk Wireless + Straight Talk Wireless $55/30 Day Unlimited Talk, Text and Data Plan Card for $49 (save $90)
- Roku Express Plus for $25 (save $14) – this deal can be found elsewhere but it remains a solid offer
- Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite + $10 Google Play Credit for $69
- FitBit Charge 2 for $129 (save $20) – this is a popular (and good) Black Friday offer with many retailers, not just Walmart
- FitBit Alta for $99 (save $30) – as above
- Canon SLR 2 Lens Bundle for $449 + 69.99 in Photo Services (save $150)
- Xbox One S White 500GB Battlefield Bundle for $249 (save $50) – like Fibit, you’ll find this offer at a number of retailers if you prefer to shop elsewhere
Treat With Caution
Not every Black Friday deal is a good one, even if it looks that way on paper. Here are Walmart Black Friday deals I’d suggest you avoid – and why:
- iPad Mini 2 32GB for $199 (save $70)
I would warn against buying an iPad Mini 2. Firstly this deal is recycled from Black Friday 2015 with no price cut. Secondly Apple will refresh the iPad lineup in early 2017 and software support for the iPad Mini 2 is unlikely to last much longer.
- Element or Hisense (by location) 50-inch HDTV for $225
Others retailers have better offers here. For example Meijer has a 50-inch Vizio TV for $199.99 and Best Buy a premium 49-inch Toshiba 4k HDTV for $199.99
- RCA 7″ Android Tablet for $28 (save $21.87) – I would strongly advise buyers stay away from budget Android tablets from minor brands. They very rarely deliver.
- Xbox 360 500GB Forza Horizon 2 Bundle for $129 (save $50)
The Xbox 360 is yesterday’s news. Put this money towards an Xbox One or One S instead. If you must buy an Xbox 360 then GameStop has pre-owned Xbox 360 bundles for $50 after rebate.
- Otterbox Defender for Samsung and Apple for $25 (save $14.96) – offers on this case regularly drop to circa $15