Breast cancer is an uncontrolled growth of the cells of the breast. This may occur due to mutations, or any kind of abnormal modifications, within the genes which are responsible for the regulation of growth of these cells and for keeping these cells healthy. These genes are present in the nucleus of every cell which works like a control room of every cell.
Generally, the cells which are present in our body automatically replace themselves with the help of a process of growth of cells: new healthy cells replace the old cells. But with time, the mutations may turn on a few genes and turn off other genes of a cell.
What are the different types of Breast Cancer?
There are different types of breast cancers; some of them are unpredictable and some of them are fast growing while other types develop steadily and slowly. Different types of cancers are listed below:
- Infiltrating Ductal: It is most common breast cancer, represents 78% of all malignancies. During mammography, lesions can come out in 2 different shapes like star “Stellate” and well circum scribed in “rounded” shape. From these two shapes, stellate shaped lesions have generally poorer prognosis.
- Infiltrating Lobular: 15 % of women suffered from this type of cancer. In this type of cancer, lesions appear in upper outer area of breast as the subtle thickening & are difficult to diagnose with the help of mammography. This cancer can involve both boobs. With increase in time if these are not treated properly grow in whole breast around lobules and ducts.
- Medullary carcinoma: In this type of breast cancer, lesions are circumscribed & it may be tough to distinguish from the Fibroadenoma with the help of Sonography and Mammography. This type of cancer has better prognosis as compared to other breast cancers.
- Tubular Carcinoma: In this type of breast cancer lesions make up approximately 2 % of the breast cancers. This type of breast cancer has best prognosis with about 95% 10 yr survival rate.
What causes breast cancer?
- Family history ovarian cancer
- Women having 1st menstrual period before 12 yr can be the big risk in developing the breast cancer.
- Dense breast tissues
- No kidding
- Birth control pills
- More menopause than average
What are breast cancer risk factors?
- Changes in shape and size of breast cancer
- Abnormality in breast cells when these are viewed with the help of microscope
- Use of alcohol is also the main risk in causing breast cancer.
- Race is also another breast cancer’s risk factor
What are breast cancer symptoms and signs?
- Lumps found in the lymph nodes which are located in armpits
- Change in breast shape and size
- Skin dimpling
- Nipple discharge
- Pain or irritation in nipples
- Nipple inversion
How is breast cancer diagnosed?
Breast cancer can be easily diagnosed with the help of surgical procedure. In the surgical procedure, breast tissues are taken by the fine needle aspiration, ductal lavage, nipple aspirates and local surgical method. The best accurate and best methods of breast cancer diagnosis are radiographic imaging. To detect metastasis, sometimes imaging tests are done which includes CAT scan, breast X – ray, PET and MRI scanning.
What is the Treatment for Breast Cancer?
Here are some best therapies which are used for the treatment of breast cancer:
- Interventional radiology
- Oncolytic viral therapy
- Gene therapy
- Breast vaccination strategy
- Hormonal therapy
- Radiation therapy
Herbs that are used for the Breast Cancer treatment:
- Ginseng (found in china)
What is the prognosis of Breast Cancer?
Here are some factors how women can get outlook about current stage of breast cancer. Some of them are listed:
- Tumor markers
- Gene expression
- Rate of the cell division
- Location of tumors
- Tumor is the hormone receptor negative or positive
With the help of computer programs, Nottingham prognostic index, Oncotype DX; you can find how many benefits you have gotten from your breast cancer treatment and on which stage of cancer you are currently.
Read this Article in: Français (French)