Tuna fish belongs to the mackerel family. It is specific to saltwater fish. There are two main varieties the bullet tuna and the Atlantic Bluefin Tuna. Tuna is super rich in vitamin B12, it is also rich in vitamin A, magnesium, vitamin B6, calcium and iron. It has about 184 calories per 100 grams of tuna. It is high in proteins and has no dietary fibre and no carbohydrates.
It has high quantities of cholesterol, sodium and potassium. Tuna makes it to the world’s healthiest foods. It is rich in selenium, omega 3 fats, phosphorus and tryptophan. It is an anti oxidant and an anti inflammatory. Tuna helps in forming healthy bones and maintaining a healthy heart. Anti oxidants help in protecting from cancer and it also provides instant energy.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fresh whole tuna fish
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 celery cut very thin
- 750 grams Italian plum tomatoes or the juice of the equivalent amount of tomatoes.
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/3 a cup of fresh green olives.
Cooking time –
- 1 hour 15 minutes [15 minutes is the preparation time and 1 hour is for the cooking]
Method to cook tuna –
- Preheat the oven to about 230 degrees C.
- In a large vessle, pour oil and fry the tuna till golden brown for only about 3 minutes. Not more. Season with salt and pepper. In the same vessel cook celery and onions till they turn translucent. Do this for not more than 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes or tomato puree/juice and add the red peppers. Stir the mixture and cover and allow it to simmer. Till you can see the contents thicken in the vessel. Add in the olives.
- Now coat the sause to the fish nicely and transfer to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serves 4.
- While serving use slotted spoons to transfer the fish first and then top the sauce. As the sauce has a tendency to drip.
- Tuna can be substituted with swordfish.
Some Important points to remember while cooking tuna –
- After taking out the tuna from the shopping bag always rinse in cool running tap water before cooking.