Mussels belong to the family of clam found it fresh water bodies. About 100 grams of mussels have 172 calories. It contains cholesterol, sodium and potassium. It also contains fat, carbohydrates and dietary fibres. Ii contains proteins and vitamins B12, Vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin A, calcium and magnesium. It also contains iron. It is a very rich source of vitamin B12. It also has omega 3 fatty acids.
The omega 3 help the heart as they help in lowering the cholesterol levels and also has anti inflammatory properties. Selenium is an anti oxidant that helps fight free radicals in the blood. Iodine present in mussels help in the natural production of thyroid hormones that help in the basic metabolism and also helps the body burn calories. Mussels are one of the most popular sea foods that we know.
- 1/3 diced Spanish chorizo
- 1 onion diced
- 1 small tomato plum sized
- 2 tablespoons canned green chillies
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1 cup beer
- 2 pounds mussel
- ¼ cilantro
Cooking time: No such time allotted
- Cook chorizo, in a large pan on medium heat till it turns brown for about 5 minutes. Add the chopped onions and stir till it gets soft for about 3 minutes. Add in the tomato, chillies, cumin and pepper. Keep stirring till the tomato breaks down, for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beer and cook in high heat, bringing it to a boil.
- Now stir in the mussels and simmer. Cover and reduce the heat to medium low and cook the mussels for about 7 minutes. Now remove from the heat and cilantros.
- Serve with Sauce
- Serves 4
Points to be remembered
- To clean the mussels scrub them with a stiff brush under cold running water.
- The best way to store loose mussels is to store them in ice.
- Never store mussels in airtight plastics or containers, which do not have hole. The mussels would suffocate.
- While cooking avoid over cooking the mussels, just steam so that they get loose from their shells.
- To check if the mussel is alive tap it.