Ducks include several species of birds like swans, geese and more. They are aquatic birds and are smaller than swans and geese. They can be found both in sea water and fresh water. The most common type is the pekin duck.The meat is mainly taken from the legs and breasts.
The liver, heart and kidney are also eaten. They are prepared in the Chinese cuisines as well. Some of the popular duch dishes are – Peking duck, Long Islands Roast Duckling, Pressed Duck Oritang, Bebek Betut, confit , Czernina, Zhangcha duck and Turkducken.
- 2 duck breast pieces
- 100 grams smoked bacon lard
- 1 tablespoon black pepper – freshly ground
- 50 grams wild mushroom – sliced
- ¼ vanilla pods
- 2 tablespoons of marsala or port
- 100 grams of peas – cooked for 2 minutes in water if fresh ,or the frozen pre cooked version.
- 100 ml of chicken stock
- ½ kg potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of double cream
- Small blob of butter
- Oil as needed
- Total 50 minutes [preparation = 15 minutes + cooking = 35 minutes]
- Take the potatoes and cut them in to huge pieces. Now boil in salted water. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes in low heat. Drain out the water.
- Heat the vanilla with the cream on low heat till they blend.
- Add the potatoes
- Add butter
- Beat the mixture in to a smooth paste.
- Let the duck be seasoned with salt and pepper
- Now fry the duck in a pan with a bit oil
- Cook the duck in the pan for about ten minutes ensure the duck does not get caught to the pan.
- Let it turn a golden brown colour. But leave it a little pink in the middle.
- Cook the bacons till crispy brown
- Add mushrooms to the bacons
- Splash the port, chicken stock and peas.
- Serve with the potato mash at the bottom with the duck slab on it half way. Strewn it with peas, mushrooms etc. With the juices poured all out evenly through the plate.
Read this Article in:Français (French)