Bacon is pig meat or pork which has been cured. The curing is done by using large quantities of salt. In the US bacon is cured or smoked. Different flavouring is given with the help of various types of wood or even corn o the cob. The process can take up to 18 hours. Unsmoked bacon is sometimes referred to as green bacon. Bacon is often cooked with eggs it makes for an excellent breakfast item. Also bacon is also used in sandwiches, bacon wraps and cob salad. It is also used in pizzas, salads, hamburgers, baked potatoes, hot dogs and soups. There are 27 calories in 1 slice of bacon. It has 71 % fat, 1% carbohydrates and 28% proteins. It has no calcium, iron or vitamins. It has potassium, sodium and cholesterol.
Pregnant women are advised to eat bacon, because the choline found in bacon is good for the brains. It is on the oldest processed meats in history. Most of the times, bacon is eaten with eggs. Many American homes always stock their homes with bacon. 23 lbs of bacon is procured from a 250 lb pig. One of the most famous methods in which pork is consumed is bacon. In Canada bacon is not the bacon as we know it. It is pork loin fully cooked and smoked. Pork does have a lot of good nutrients; however due to its high fat content those suffering from heart ailments should minimize their consumption.
- 3 ounces of bacon
- 1 deep dish pie crust
- ½ cup chopped onions shredded
- 5 ounces of Swiss cheese
- 3 ounces of parmesan cheese
- 1 and a half cups of cream’
- 4 lightly beaten eggs
- 1 hour [preparation time = 10 minutes + cooking time = 50 minutes]
- Preheat oven to about 400 degrees Celsius.
- In a medium bowl add the bacons, the cheese, onion and mix. Add the mixture to the pie crust.
- Pour the egg mixture over the cheese mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Now bake and reduce the heat to 175 degrees and bake for an additional 35 minutes. Till the quiche starts to turn golden brown.
- Makes 6 servings